Thursday, July 31, 2008

The wedding story

Well as you all probably know we got married on Friday the 12th October 2007

The run up to the wedding was as normal, hectic and fraught, strangely not for me but for everyone else!!??

I was chilled and just taking every day step by step, as everyone said I had done it twice before so I should be chilled!

We nearly finished the house, painting decorating etc but just ran out of time, we had so much help from the two girls, Ed and Helen who were magnificent, they helped paint, scrub, clean, make gifts and then serve food on the wedding day! Not sure what I would have done without them!

All our new Ozzy friends had pulled together to help us out in one way or another, Jenny next door was chief wedding co-ordinator and had made the garden look so fabulous it was tear moving. Robyn had given me numbers of people to hire equipment and anything I needed she knew someone who could help.

Matt and Liz helped with the food along with Ed, Helen and myself who did the prep work for Matt it.

Instead of almonds in a little bag for each guest we made stained glass sun catchers for each one, my glass teacher came over and we spent 12 hours in the shed with Ed and Helen just cutting, grinding, foiling and leading each piece, it was hard work but fun

The 8th came and everyone from the UK descended on us, it was great to see them all, Tims mum, his aunt, Luke, Bob, Tracey and their son Kieran.

The mum, aunt and Luke all arrived at the local airport where we fetched them from. All please to be off a plane and close to having a shower. 

Bo and Tracey came later as they had decided to fly on to Brisbane from Sydney and drive to us.

Much gardening, food prep and frillyness was going on.

There was the normal wedding stuff that happened, Bob and Tracy had a huge row at Cassys birthday meal and made it very awkward for everyone spoiling the evening for Cassy who had had a really nice day up until then.

One the day of the wedding Tim and Shirley fell out over him not introducing her to people, Tim was up to his eyes in sorting out stuff and not really thinking of things like that, after a blat on his bike he came back and all was made up, thank god!

All the girls got their hair done and then it was my turn, Luke picked the girls up and took them off once they were done, all looking very beautiful I must say!

I had my hair done and makeup and then Luke whisked me off to the hotel we were going to honeymoon at so I could get ready in peace and be relaxed. As we realised that the house was just too small for so many people and no one wanted to use Tims bathroom!!?? So it was a bit crowded.

Luke ended up staying in a local cabin as there was just not room in the house, which was upsetting for me as I wanted him near to keep me sane.

So Luke and I went to the room and it was great, peace quiet and relaxing!

We opened a bottle of strawberry champagne they had left for Tim and I, but as Tim hates champagne and strawberries Luke and I had it. We got ready and soon it was time to go! It seemed like 5 minutes rest before everything!

Luke went off in a taxi back to the house as the boat was cancelled due to high winds, which both Tim and I were very upset about.

So the wedding was to be held in the garden, which did look beautiful so I was not too worried, by this time we had resigned ourselves to the fact that if we could get married at all it would be good it did not matter how at this stage.

The fire thrower, juggler had disappeared off the face of Oz, who we had hired, the band had cancelled because they thought it would rain, and the wedding cake was not what I wanted as everyone would not let me just get on and make it they all wanted to put their fingers in the chocolate and not be helpful at all!

Colin a friend was picking me up in his corvette and taking me to the house, on the way there was a huge black heavy cloud looming over us. But as we travelled to the house it was behind us, I was hoping and praying!

We made a grand entrance in to the house skidding a bit and with great laughter!

It was all very beautiful, all our very good friends and some family were there, all the faces I could see were all smiling, it looked great.

I went to the house to get my flowers; Tracy did not get her flowers as they had been given away to Shirley to wear!? The bridesmaids should have both been wearing white, but tracy decided that she was wearing white with pink which clashed with my dress and Nicola looked like the perfect bride in her white dress, but I did not see Nicolas flowers so not sure if she had hers? Nicola refused to walk down to the bottom of the garden  So tracy did but not sure why, but she stopped half way? Luke and myself followed but the intro to the song was so long it had hardly played by the time I was there.

Tim looked great and was smiling from head to toe, we started to say our vows and the sky turned black! A bit more and the wind blew up, a few more words and the heavens opened and the eye of the storm was on us!

Thunder, lightening, and torrential rain! Gods fireworks!

So the wedding was stopped and we all ran into the shed!

20 minutes later the rain was still so hard that we could not hear each other talking! So the bar was opened!

Tim ran to try and Pat had thought he was doing a runner!

Half an hour later the intensity had died down enough to hear the celebrant and we continued, in the shed!

Not the wedding I had in mind al those months ago!

We said our vows again, nearly getting married twice; Tim had bought me a new ring which was a surprise! And the rain gently subsided and we went out to survey the damage.

The table cloths were dripping; the balloons had been ripped off and sucked up into the vortex of the storm.

The decorations jenny had made had survived and it still looked pretty

Luke worked like a trooper and got all the soggy cloths off and the party continued.

Matt the chef was running around in the rain and had got soaked to the skin! Bless him! But still carried on! What a trooper

The rest of the evening went on without a fault, to my knowledge 

Finally we said our goodbyes and headed to the hotel in a taxi.

It was dark and we could not see much on the journey to the hotel.

After a having a soak in the hot tub we hit the sack and like an old couple, fell asleep talking, waking later with the lights on 

The next morning we drove back to the house as we had to pick the dogs up from the kennels, only to see the destruction that had happened from the storm!

We saw 15 trees down; friends had had parts of roofs ripped off shade sails had been torn from their fixings, the boat we should have gone on had its life bouys ripped off, the sonar and parts of the cabin screening!

Then we realised how lucky we were that the wedding had not been totally trashed!

How lucky were we!

Just to let you all know, that we decided that I would keep my name so I am

NOT

MRS YVONNE TRIM

I have kept my family name of MILES, as there are no boys in the family I am keeping it on!

so I am still, MS Yvonne Miles

No comments: